Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Here We Go Again

Finally getting through on the website for 1940 Federal Census. Not easy when it's not indexed by name but managed to pin down my parents who resided with my older sister and brother in West Springfield, Ma.


Also identified my wife's ancestors residing in the same town, showing my wife's grandparents living with their six children (including my wife's mother).



I've updated my Ancestry.com files for each of those listed on the two records, to include scanned copies of the Census forms themselves to support the entries for residence.

It was impossible to get through the first two days the 1940 Census records were available, apparently because of the volume of hits by amateur genealogists like me. I think I'll wait awhile before trying to update my files with any more. I've got a lot of other work I can do on my files including continuing my research into the "sort of secret life" of my paternal grandfather. Identifying census records is a whole lot easier when the information is indexed by name. So to that end, my search will continue but as far as the 1940 Census records search goes, it will be a little while.  Maybe a big little while.


No comments:

Post a Comment