Friday, January 14, 2011

By The Numbers

I've been working on our family budget now for about a week. Chompin' at the bit the whole time because for one thing, I hate doing it and for another, it keeps me from working on what I really want to be doing and that, of course, is genealogy.  My wife's sister recently loaned us some documents pertaining to their ancestors from the Prophet and Creran families that I'm eager to start working into our family tree. The file includes birth records, death records, marriage records, military records, and memoirs all resting inside a folder just waiting for me to devour.  It's like a cookie jar sitting on the counter filled with warm fresh chocolate chip cookies calling out my name but I have "homework" to complete before I can give in to the temptation.  I hate accounting.  I hate budgeting. We exceeded our 2010 budget by about 10 %.  I know that's not much compared to the Federal Deficit but it's still not good. So I'm going to get it done, set the goals, and see if we can bring it back in line with our limited income.


What's this got to do with My Search Goes On?  Not much I suppose but it gives me a chance to get away from crunching the numbers. And although this may be a stretch I've got a ledger that my great great grandfather, John Currier of Langdon, New Hampshire used to maintain and you want to talk about an accounting overload? Check out the photo above...  Page 24 of over 400 pages all filled with accounting transactions of one type or another.  John Currier kept some mean records, I wanna' tell 'ya!  There's even a few receipts I found mixed in between some of the pages. Looks like he bought some nursery items for his farm. Anyway, I digress because I'm just avoiding my own obligations. I'll try to follow John Currier's suit and get back to the budget. And when I'm done with that my search goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment